Monday, January 29, 2007

Steve and Jan return from Patagonia (from Helen)


Steve and Jan have returned to BA after a week long whirl wind tour of Argentina. They saw cool stuff like prairies and PENGUINS! I am so jealous. We WILL leave the city just as soon as we can, but not yet. This time we ate at a local restaurant that was just great. We had a nice time.
.
Back to the "ying and yang" of Ken and Helen regarding the city that drips. I just love it when it rains here. I love to walk in it and smell it. It cools everything off and cleans the city of the smoot and I don´t mind the incessant drips at all. It really does drip all over the place here. Big blobs of crap on the back of my shirt that fell out of no-where.
.
Paper products here are still of constant amazement to me. The other day we went to Shoeless Joes and I went to the bathroom. First of all, I was way pleasantly surprised that there was toilet paper at all. That being said, I have really never seen toilet paper like this. I wish I could post a picture. It was several times thinner than single-ply. In fact, it was so thin that it had these little holes in it all over and looked just like lace. Exceedingly thin, lacey, single ply, toilet paper. And yet, I was very happy to see it. No paper towels though.
.
My spanish has taken a turn in the learning process. (Have I told you this already?). When I am at school and asked a question, I look the same, what with my incoherant stammering and all. Yet, at night as I am dozing off, in those few minutes between being awake and being asleep, I replay the day and I answer the question in very understandable spanish. My vocabulary is still small, but when I am calm and not hindered by inhibition or clumsiness, I can speak very clearly and coherantly.
.
Today I really like it here.

No comments: