Friday, March 16, 2007

Signs of the Times (Ken)



It is nice to know that in Palermo Viejo, alcohol and religion do not mix.











Music here is tough to get a grip on. There is Rock National, and many Columbian singers: Juanez, Shakira. But these young guitar players are all about the Beatles. Creedence is a big hit with colectivo drivers, and Roger Waters sells out--even at $240 pesos a ticket.











Move over Colonel Sanders. When Porteños think Kentucky--they think pizza!!











This type of grafitti appeared in Buenos Aires when we returned from Córdoba. Bush was in Uruguay and Chavez was holding anti-Bush Rallies here and other in Latin American countries.


There was an interesting editorial in the Buenos Aires Herald the other day that attempted to explain why Chavez--a third world wannabe dictator--is seen as a viable adversary to the leader of the only remaining world superpower.









Crack, it's not just for Norteamericanos anymore. There is a big concern over Crack here. I read an article in La Nacion this week about the problem.








I saw this poem on a wall near my apartment

The noise of the city seems to insult of the ears,
and what quality of life is there for a man
when he is not able to listen to the call of his desire,
or hear the night time conversations of the frogs in the lagoon?


(I feel your pain, my brother. This is one noisey city!)





You guys tell me. Could this poster make on the streets of your North American hometown?

There is a lot to like about the spirit of these people. They have something here that we in the USA have lost, or forgotten, or neglected, or given away, or have had taken from us. I hope that they do not lose it.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Hi guys,

Just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy reading your posts. Your links are a excellent enhancement. I read your blog as regularly as the local news (which is practically daily) I find your blog entertaining as well as informative.

Thanks! Abrazos y besos!

Mr. Aponte's Spanish Class said...

Thanks for the interesting blog! It's nice to see how Americans view Buenos Aires and what their life in the city is like.

I enjoyed the photo of the poem on the wall near your residence, but the translation given in this post puzzles me. How did 'garza' (heron) become 'desire', and how did 'discusiones' (serious discussions -or-arguments) turn into 'conversations'?

Rafael Aponte

Dr. K said...

Well, I misread GARZA, and I just liked "Conversations" better.