Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Sala de Slots a Hipódromo de Palermo (Ken)

This beautiful building is the entrance to El Hipódromo de Palermo. Behind it is a huge horseracing track. Under it is a cavernous complex of modern, well lit room containing thousands of slot machines.
.
Helen and I ventured out last night to see how this "racino" differed from our usual haunt back home, Charlestown Races and Slots." You´ll have to settle for this outside picture because here, like so many plaes I have encountered in Buenos Aires, does not allow photographs. This is the most camera shy place I have ever been. I actaully had a street magiciam--working for tips--tell me I could not video him the other day. I mean, what was I going to do? Use my video to expose him as a fraud to the world? No modedas for him.
.
We wandered around and couldn´t tell if the machines took bills, or coins, or vouchers. I took a $100 peso note and went up to the cash window. "Me puede decir cómo jugar." He broke my hundred into smaller bills and told me just to feed them into the machine and start pressing buttons. The machine will print out a voucher of my winnings and I bring that back to him when I am done and he converts it to cash. If you are done playing a certain machine and still have money in it, you can have the machine print out a voucher and use that vouchers to put your winnings in another machine.
.
At this point, you probably want to know how we did. For those of you who know me, you understand that I enjoy a wager now and again. I am also aware that the object of playing a slot machine is to play--not ot win. Anyone who believes otherwise is destined for disappointment. So you can believe our amazement when we actually came home with a modest profit.

.
OK, I did manage to go back and take a clandestine photo:

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I forget to mention--no free drinks like in the USA.

Jos said...

I had heard from my Mendocino friend that there were no free drinks - bummer! That is the only reason I gamble - free booze!!!!

I guess I won't be gambling while out there.

Three more days to go!!!